25 March 2018 / Team News

Bethesda 26 - Llandudno 30

This was the most exciting match seen at Dôl Ddafydd this season with the home team short of a number of experienced players. The visitors, Llandudno - a big, well organised side having an excellent season.

Bethesda went ahead after 4 minutes play. With their scrum under pressure the visitors chose to run the ball out of their own half. Wing Elis Ogwen Jones intercepted a pass and he had the pace to score in the corner. The other wing, Rhys Jones kicked the difficult conversion.

Llandudno’s forwards and backs’ weight and stature became obvious 4 minutes later when they forced their way over the tryline for an unconverted score.

Bethesda went down to 13 men when Gareth Ogwen Williams and Elis Jones both received yellow cards within a couple of minutes of each other.

In this period the home side came under pressure again and Lloyd Evans scored a try which was coverted by scrum half Davies.

Davies added a penalty goal after 23 minutes making the score 15 points to 7 for the visitors.

Bethesda’s speed began too cause problems for Llandudno and they enjoyed a period of pressure in their opponents 22. Llandudno’s defence was very organised and outside half Carwyn Williams opted to drop a goal when he realised that there was no way through.

2 minutes later the visitors struck again with a converted try and the situation looked bleak for the home side being 22 points to 10 down.

However, Bethesda continued to battle hard and, with half time approaching, Carwyn Williams dropped another goal to narrow the gap to 9 points.

Bethesda started the second period strongly and Rhys Jones kicked a penalty goal after 2 minutes play.

After 9 minutes there came the try of the match. Llandudno’s standoff kicked the ball deep towards Bethesda’s left wing. The ball was moved through several pairs of hands before Carwyn Williams chipped the ball towards the Llandudno tryline. With 4 players putting pressure on the Llandudno fullback th ball came out to scrum half Iago Davies who scored in the corner.  Rhys Jones kicked an excellent touchline conversion to give Bethesda a 23 points to 22 lead.

Unfortuanalely for the home side, the lead only lasted 5 minutes. Centre Huw Williams was yellow carded and Bethesda came under pressure again. Llanduno’s back row was prominent in a powerful move that ended with a bonus point unconverted try. Another penalty goal for the visitors gave them a 30 points to 23 lead.

In a strong finish, the home side cut the defecit with another Rhys Jones penalty goal and Bethesda were attacking strongly near the visitors’ tryline when the final whistle was blown and the home side had to be satisfied with a losing bonus point.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments